Saturday, September 26, 2009

Week 5 review - Rainy season is not gone yet!

This is a picture of the crazy amount of fish at the floating market I went to today!
The floating market
Maria and me on a water taxi

This dark sky out my window is a picture of what it's been like all week
Me with some other teachers at a restaurant last Saturday

Sorry I haven't updated this is such a long time! This past week has been so busy; I have barely had a chance to check my e-mail. Anyhow, last weekend was fun! On Friday night I went to church and then to a Lebanese restaurant called Beirut. The food was so good - it reminded me a little of Uzbek food.
On Saturday I went with Heidi and Miriam to the Bangkok refugee center where they help teach English on Saturdays. I went to the more advanced class and got to meet a few of the girls in the class. That evening we went to church again and then out to a different restaurant. (You can see the picture above.)
Sunday I stayed at home, trying to relax and get ready for the coming week. At school on Monday, I got to play a review game with them for their Social Studies test. I had them choose some of the prizes that I brought with me from home. Not all of them liked the prizes, but it was fun to see the ones that did.
Starting Tuesday, it has rained every afternoon this week! By "rained", I don't mean a little shower that lasts for half an hour. I mean a downpour that completely flooded the roads around the school for hours afterwards! I wish I had pictures to show you. It's crazy. All of the people living here have said that it's never been this bad in one week before.
Wednesday was my first day to teach full time! I also was observed teaching a Social Studies lesson. All in all the day went well, even though I was tired by the end of it! In reading, the kids worked on making a tide pool diaroma out of shoeboxes, magazines, and clay. (Our story this week is called "Turtle Bay".) I enjoyed watching them get excited about the project.
By Friday I felt like I was getting more used to teaching all day. I felt pretty good about how the lessons went that day, especially writing. Please pray for me this coming week as I get all my lessons ready. We are starting science and they will be growing and disecting beans. Also, in reading we are doing an author study instead of our regular story for the week. These are fun things, but take more planning!
Today was a great end to an already good week! :) I got to go with Maria, someone I met at church, to a small floating market outside of Bangkok. We ate food cooked by some of the women working in the boats. I enjoyed just being able to relax and be outside - It was a beautiful day! No rain and not too hot! :) By the way, at some point today I took nearly every form of transportation available in this city - taxi, sky train, bus, mini-bus, boat, and tuk-tuk!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janita,
    Grandpa & I say "hi". Can't wait to see you. Looks like hard work, but it appears that all is going well. Love, Grandpa and Grandma

    ReplyDelete